The Madeleine is a simple and loved little cake that reminds Proust and many of us of our younger years at the French Lycee. It is easy to do, with only flour, sugar and butter as a base but it requires patience and lots of attention. Give it a try and earn a hug from your family and friends.
Ingredients for 50 Madeleines
- 250g flour
- 200g granulated sugar
- 10g baking powder
- 300g unsalted butter
- 10 eggs
- 5 g salt
- zests of 3 lemons
- zests of 2 oranges
- 2 tbsp. of Orange tree flower water
- In a bowl, mix the eggs with the sugar until it has a smooth consistency
- Meanwhile, sift the flour with the salt and baking powder
- Zest the lemon, the orange and melt the butter in a pan on the stove and keep it warm
- Add the flour to the eggs and sugar mix until you obtain a smooth batter
- Finally, add the zest and butter slowly while mixing
- Add the orange tree flower water
- Pour the batter into piping bag and keep refrigerated for at least 12 hours
- Put the oven on at 180 degrees Celsius (356F)
- If you are using a brand new madeleine mold, use a butter spray so it doesn't stick
- Pipe the batter into the Madeleines molds almost to the edge
- Put in the oven for about 10 minutes. The Madeleines should get a beautiful golden color
- Watch the oven as temperature differs from one brand to another. Lower it a bit if you see the Madeleines start to burn without being cooked. The Madeleines are cooking fast!
- Once baked, unmold them on a grid so they can cool off without creating any condensation.
Enjoy the Madeleines with Oolong Tea or Lan Gui Ren !